Virginia Nursing CE Requirements
Total Hours Required: 30
Renewal Cycle: 2 yrs
For licensure renewal, RNs shall complete at least one of the following activities:
- Current specialty certification by a national certifying organization, as defined in 18VAC90-20-10.
- Completion of a minimum of three credit hours of post-licensure academic education relevant to nursing practice, offered by a regionally-accredited college or university.
- A board-approved refresher course in nursing.
- Completion of nursing-related, evidence-based practice project or research study.
- Completion of publication as the author or co-author during a renewal cycle.
- Teaching a nursing-related course resulting in no less than three semester hours of college credit or specialty certification.
- Teaching nursing-related continuing education courses for up to 30 contact hours.
- 15 contact hours of workshops, seminars, conferences or courses relevant to the practice of nursing and 640 hours of active practice as a nurse.
- 30 contact hours of workshops, seminars, conferences or courses relevant to the practice of nursing.